Osteopathy is not always well understood. Even among its practitioners there are different views, including on how patients should be treated. This is a useful definition from the UK governing body, the General Osteopathic Council (GOSC):
“‘Osteopathy is an established, recognised system of diagnosis and treatment that lays its main emphasis on the structural and functional integrity of the body. It recognises that much of the pain and disability we suffer, stems from abnormalities in the function of body structure as well as damage caused to it by disease.
Osteopathy’s main strength lies in the unique way in which the patient is assessed from a mechanical, functional and postural standpoint and manual methods of treatment applied that suit the needs of the individual patient rather than specific treatment for a specific problem.”
Knifeless surgery and the origin of Osteopathy
Osteopathy was founded by Dr Andrew Taylor Still in the late 19th century. Combining his knowledge of anatomy and physiology, Dr Still joined two schools of therapy of the time – “healing” and “bone setting”. Bone setting was about resetting and straightening the skeletal structures (the structural side of modern osteopathy). While healing was about improving the fluid circulation within the body, so the body could heal itself (the more functional side of modern osteopathy).
By bringing together these two approaches, Osteopathy was born. His theory was that disease and dysfunction were grounded in a disorder of the musculoskeletal system. And he saw osteopathy as a “knifeless surgery”, a more natural way for the body to heal than traditional drugs and surgery.
Combining traditional wisdom with modern knowledge
While modern medicine has moved on a long way from Dr Still’s time, a lot of this old-school wisdom has been forgotten.
At Roscop Practice we treat you using a combination of the best of traditional healing practices and the latest understanding of biomechanics and physiology. So we don’t focus just on muscles and bones. We ensure there are no physical barriers to the healthy flow of fluids, energy and emotions in your body.
IT’S THIS MARRIAGE OF TRADITIONAL AND MODERN, OF PHYSICAL AND ENERGETIC, THAT HELPS US ACHIEVE SUCH GREAT RESULTS FOR OUR PATIENTS !
You and your bump
FROM ALLEVIATING BACK PAIN, TO PREPARING YOU FOR THE BIRTH, OUR OSTEOPATHS CAN HELP PREVENT AND TREAT A RANGE OF PREGNANCY RELATED CONDITIONS
- Become more mentally prepared for the birth
- Get recommendations for birth specialists, such as midwives,
- obstetricians, physiotherapists, hypnobirthing, doulas, lactation consultants, herbalists and acupuncturists
- Treat pelvic pains, epidural tension, and other post birth related issues
- Support for labour recovery, including pelvic floor to Caesarean sections
- Rebalance the biomechanics of your body post-pregnancy
- Prevent any future dysfunction of the body due to the strain of pregnancy (such as incontinence and prolapse)
- And alleviate the aches and pains caused by breast feeding.
- Get help with low fertility and trouble conceiving
- Reduce pregnancy aches and pains (including muscle and ligament pain, and headaches)
- Get support for other pregnancy related issues (such as reflux, water retention, nausea and breathlessness)
- Increase mobility of the pelvis and uterus to allow for an optimal baby position, which can, for example, decrease the likelihood of a breach baby
- Get your body ready for labour by improving the mobility of the whole body
- Prepare the pelvic floor to reduce the likelihood of tears, episiotomy, labour traumas and Caesarean section
- Get help adapting to physiological and hormonal changes
Every child is unique
We’re here to take that worry away. Whether your bundle of joy is on the way, just arrived, or has already turned into a cheeky-little-monkey, our osteopathic treatments will help you and your loved ones find long-lasting health and happiness.
We take the extra time to listen and to understand your child’s unique circumstances. By working on an emotional and energetic level, we also go beyond the standard physical examination. With this more complete picture of your child’s health, we’re better able to identify and treat the root causes of different conditions.
WE CAN HELP
- Provide gentle treatment for scoliosis and other structural complications
- Achieve a faster recovery from falls, accidents or surgery
- Alleviate emotional or anxiety issues, tantrums, stress and their physical symptoms
- Improve breathing to help reduce the symptoms of asthma
- Get help with any learning, concentration and behavioural difficulties, including Attention-Deficit Disorder
- Support for the body after dental work, such as braces
- Avoid future health conditions with early preventative treatments
- Ease discomfort from the physical strains a child experiences during pregnancy and birth
- Reduce the strength and irritability of skin conditions like eczema
- Assessment of overall posture and general developmental milestones, from holding their head, speaking, sitting and standing etc
- Get baby sleeping better at night (good for mum and dad, too)
- Alleviate cranial tensions from a traumatic birth (forceps, ventouse, caesarean), which can also reduce breastfeeding issues, such as weak sucking, torticollis and digestive tensions
- Settle the symptoms of colic for a less irritable baby
- Reduce any stomach discomfort, such as reflux, regurgitation, constipation, cramps and bloating
- Overcome reoccurring infections, especially sinuses, ears and eyes
OSTEOPATHY & SPORT
Specialist treatments helping you overcome injury and quickly get you back on your feet with gentle but effective physical therapy.
Treatment for a wide range of conditions
- Ability to prevent and manage injuries
- Preparing your body for the physical and energetic level
- Support to achieve a full and fast recovery
- Ability to get back to your training
- Improving your athletic performance
- Optimising your nutritional programme
As experts on the optimum functioning of your musculoskeletal and physiological system, we’ll make sure every bone, tendon, joint and muscle is working just how nature intended.
OUR PATIENTS RANGE FROM THE MOST CASUAL SUNDAY FIVE-A-SIDE WANNABES, TO SOME OF THE MOST FAMOUS ELITE ATHLETES IN THE WORLD. WE’LL HELP YOU:
- Get preventative care to avoid underlying structural issues that are masked because of the protection of your muscles
- Prepare your body for your specific sport
- Get into the shape your body was designed for, and prevent physical dysfunctions impeding growth and functionality
- Avoid bad habits and risk of injury through corrective treatments
- Balance your body to the millimetre to take control of joints, muscles, heart and brain – improving your strength, accuracy, energy, function, circulation and recovery
- Recover more fully from the invisible traumas that sport causes in your body, reducing the risk of new injuries and preventing old injuries reoccurring
- Eliminate or reduce any pain and discomfort
- Improve mobility and flexibility of joints and muscles by reducing adhesions and soft tissue restrictions
- Improve performance by working on body systems such as vascular, respiratory and fluid mechanics
- Improve your entire system with holistic treatments that resolve localised conditions
- Get advice on nutrition, exercise best practice, equipment and other sports specialists that can help you
- And get support throughout specific training regimes, such as marathons and triathlons